Thursday, September 29, 2011

Focus on ME!

Sometime in the middle of my pregnancy, I joined a very popular online community called BabyCenter. I was instantly addicted to the amazing resources and endless support available to me 24-hours a day.


Last week, I decided to post my birth story on a BabyCenter message board to serve as inspiration to other women who are striving for a natural, unmedicated birth experience and are looking to read about others' births. My story was well received, getting comments like:
  • "WOOOOW! I had no idea a birthing center would take one that was early! That's awesome."
  • "Awesome story! I really enjoyed it, especially since it was such a positive one! (Haha...sorry, but I'm 33wks, reading Ina May's book, and trying not to read too many negative stories, but yours is really inspiring!)"
  • "What an inspiring and beautiful story...thanks for sharing!"
  • "What a great story!! Wow!! I'm speechless!"
As if the aforementioned comments weren't amazing enough, imagine my surprise when I was contacted by an administrator for Focus on Birth asking to feature MY STORY on THEIR website! I just couldn't believe it! 

Focus on Birth is doing their part in the crusade to "take back birth" from the hands of the medical community and put it where it belongs - back in the hands of women the world over. The founders, Julie and Amanda, combine their love of photography with their passion for natural childbirth in one comprehensive resource. I especially love their motto: "Encouraging and equipping women for natural birth...one story at a time!"

I was inspired to post my birth story by reading other women's stories but never in a million years did I expect my story to inspire others. While my experience was empowering for me, it took me a little while to realize just how inspiring my actions may be to other women. I actually feel like a pioneer of sorts. It isn't every day that a woman, deep in active labor, chooses to leave the hospital in order to preserve her birth in the way she wanted it to be. I truly hope that other women who get to read my story remember the courage and determination I displayed in the event they are ever faced with a similar situation. 

To check out my story on their site, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment