Sunday, September 4, 2011

What Once Nourished Her, Will Now Nourish Me

As part of my birth journey, I decided to have Aerielle's placenta encapsulated. Encapsulation is a ritualistic process where the placenta  is blessed, cooked, dried out, crushed, and put into pill form for future consumption by me. Immediate benefits include reduced hormonal surges during the postpartum period, relief from the baby blues, and even possibly preventing postpartum depression. If I choose not to consume the entire placenta during the postpartum period, I can use the  placenta pills in the future for relief of PMS symptoms and even to help make my menopause more manageable!


Now, I'm sure that there are several things about the above paragraph that are raising eyebrows across the country right now, and maybe even some of you are thinking "When in the hell did Jessica turn into a full-blown hippie freak?!"  Well, I'm pretty sure that if I had been around in the 60's that I would have been a no bra wearing, non shaving, pot smoking, barefoot hippie, but alas, that was not the life I was meant to live on this great earth. Annnnnnyway...here are some photos of the encapsulation process. Aerielle's placenta was lovingly prepared by my Herb Mother, Latisha Guthrie.

Latisha shaped Aerielle's umbilical cord into a heart!


To get the pieces of placenta to fit into the capsules,
Latisha ground them down with a mortar and pestle.


Aerielle's umbilical cord, all dried out.



Aerielle's placenta created a whopping 115 capsules! Way to go baby girl!



For more information on placenta encapsulation, the benefits of placenta consumption, or the ritual significance of honoring the placenta, please check out Placenta Benefits (Las Vegas, NV) or Moon Dragon (Salem, MA).

No comments:

Post a Comment